Thursday, September 3, 2015

Life Skills Center

St. John Vianney Life Skills Center

When I was working full-time at St. Meinrad Seminary, one of my dreams was to build a "teaching kitchen" where seminarians and priests could learn to cook for themselves.  Over 68 % of priests in the United States are now living alone with cooks and housekeepers being things of the past. The influx of international priests has made this even more of a need. With the help of my friend, Jim Patterson II, that dream became realized in what was to become the St.John Vianney Center. It is part of the ongoing formation department of the seminary called the Institute for Priests and Presbyterates that I helped found and of which I became the first director. For more information go to: Institute for Priests and Presbyterates in my links.

 
The teaching kitchen features twelve stools for cooking class students, eight cook tops, four ovens, two microwaves, two dish washers, two sinks and a washer and dryer.


After cooking a meal together, the class sits down to enjoy the meal 
they have cooked or serves it to their guests.


Before cooking a meal together, the seminarians or priests gather together for praying the 
Liturgy of the Hours in this living room, which also serves as a lounge for 
those attending programs in the Institute for Priests and Presbyterates. 

                                    
 To go with the teaching kitchen, my friend Tim Schoenbachler and I worked together on publishing two versions of a cookbook he authored - one version for priests and a non-clerical version. Both cookbooks can be ordered at  My Bookstore