Saturday, June 13, 2020

CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME, BUT IT DOESN'T JUST STAY THERE!


TRULY AMAZED AT THE GENEROSITY

Filled With Gratitude

  

Not too long ago, in this very blog, I wrote some words that keep coming back to me. "Charity may begin at home, but it doesn't have to stay there!" 

This pandemic, with its unemployment and shortages, has brought out the best and worst in people. We have all heard too much about the worst, but today I want to express my amazement at the best - the generosity of people I know and barely know. 

I think many of us have tried to be a little extra generous to people here in our country who are going through hard times. I expected that! What has surprised me is that people are still being generous to people in the Caribbean missions where I volunteer. That is something I did not expect! 

Just when I think the well is about to run dry, I get another gift to meet the needs of our fellow Catholics I have met down in the missions. Whether it was the tragic fire that burned down the Guadalupe Home for girls, a 50% cut-back in the diocesan staff or a food budget reduction in the Bishop's Pastoral Centre (residence, office and chancery), people have been moved to help. They seem to know, somehow, that whatever hurts here, hurts down there in spades! 

Below is a photo of the four "care packages" (my second shipment since Easter) that I sent down recently - staples that are either too expensive for them or not accessible in the islands. I am getting good at bargain shopping, packaging and shipping! 


I thank you!
Bishop County thanks you!
The Diocesan Staff thanks you!
The priests, Sisters and Deacons thank you!
The orphans at Saint Benedict Home thank you!
The Catholics of the diocese thank you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment