Sunday, August 23, 2020

BEING MORE INTENTIONAL ABOUT VERY ORDINARY THINGS - TWENTY-SIX

This is the twenty-sixth in a series of periodic reflections on the "ordinary things" that many people do on a regular basis without much thought. During this pandemic, I am developing a need to "rage, rage" against haste and laziness and replace it with care and attention. My hope is to become personally more intentional about doing ordinary things with care and focused attention, while inspiring others to maybe do the same.

DRAGGING ON 
Anxiety in one's heart weighs a person down.
Proverbs 12:25


This pandemic is dragging on and on with no end in sight! I suppose this is what Father Joe White, Rector of Saint Thomas Seminary, was feeling about me in 1964 when he yelled out in front of my whole class "Knott! You have been a ball and chain around my leg for six years!" He might have just said, "When will you get the hell out of here?"  I couldn't say anything back in those days, but the feelings were mutual! He was more of a ball and chain around my entire psyche! Both of us longed for the day to say "good riddance"  to each other as the years dragged on and on! 

You say an event or process "drags on" when you disapprove of the fact that it lasts far longer than necessary. I say I am sick of dealing with this pandemic but my disapproval is having little effect on it so I guess I am going to have to find a way to live around it, if not with it! It is, so whether I like it or not the only question left is, "What am I going to do now?" 

The first thing, of course, is to face facts. Stuff happens, and often difficult stuff happens that we not only didn't see coming, didn't do anything to deserve, and have no control over, much less stop!  When we refuse to accept what is happening, we of course produce more anxiety and stress. Then, not only do we have a bad situation on our hands, but we end up making things worse by creating sleeplessness, muscle tension and mood swings. 

Part of facing facts, is to realize that although we can't change what is happening, we are not completely powerless. We can choose how we want to react to what we can't control. We can do that by talking things over with our friends, family members or even a therapist. Just "talking it out" helps a lot of people. I choose to do that sometimes, but more often than not, I do what I am doing right - I write! I write about my feelings! Seeing them expressed on paper and reading over them helps me process those feelings. Sometimes, they even help others process their feelings when I am able to share what I write. Journaling has been helpful to many, many people working through their unpleasant feelings! 

If you catch yourself  sounding like a "victim," or others start pointing out that you are sounding too much like a victim,  you can choose to change courses and choose operating out of your power. Instead of being overly focused on all the things you can't do, you can start focusing on all the things that you can do! 

Here, never underestimate the benefits of a good disaster! You will be shocked by how many benefits this pandemic has offered you, if you change your perspective. For example, your staying home more gives you the opportunity to create a cleaner house! Your not eating out and shopping so much can save you a whole lot of money! Your lack of a social life has given you more opportunities to connect with neglected family members and old friends by phone, face-time, e-mail, texting or whats app. You may have been eating too much fast food. This time has given you the opportunity to cook again, try new recipes and create family meals together. You may not have felt the need, or had the time to pray, before now. You may now feel the need and have time to do something about it! This slower pace has given you time to take more walks, get out that old bicycle, turn on that old treadmill or hike in the woods. Any of that is better than feeling sorry for yourself in the midst of the reality of this damnable pandemic! 

The list of positive things could go on and on, if you change your focus and become more imaginative! Good things can happen even in the midst of bad things! 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment