Thursday, June 15, 2023

BELIEVE THAT IT IS POSSIBLE FIRST - THEN WATCH IT HAPPEN

    

No one pours new wine into old wineskins. New wine is poured into fresh wineskins.
Mark 2:22

One of my heroes is Philo T. Farnsworth. I have a framed quote of his hanging on a very visible wall in my house. It says, “Impossible things just take a little longer.”

If you don’t recognize his name, you should. He is credited with inventing television. He believed that with an open mind anything was possible. Look how far television, once labeled “impossible,” has come!

The reason Philo T. Farnsworth is a hero of mine is that I, too, believe that more things are possible than we can ever imagine. The realization of the impossible begins with an open mind. When I have consciously and deliberately kept my mind open, I have seen this dynamic unfold more times than I can count.

Negative thinking kills the possible. Here are a couple of examples from real life.

A shoe factory once sent two marketing scouts to a region of Africa to study the prospects for expanding the shoe business. One sent back a telegram that said, “Situation hopeless. No one wears shoes.” The other sent back a telegram saying, “Great business opportunity. They have no shoes.”

Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, responded negatively to the idea of investing in computers in 1943 by saying, “I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” As late as 1977, Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corporation said, “There is no reason anyone would want a computer in his home.”

As a child, if I had not decided to reject it, I would have been a victim of this kind of negative thinking. Several significant adults in my life told me that I had no chance at all of making it through the seminary. I was even called a “hopeless case” by one seminary rector.

Because of these experiences, I stay in a mild state of irritation at our church when it seems unable to take advantage of the many opportunities staring it in the face even now. No wonder we have a vocation crisis. No wonder we are closing parishes. We are hopelessly mired in downward spiraling talk about both issues. Where are the can-do people who can see an alternative to our hopeless resignation?

Jesus tells us that God needs an open mind, a “new wineskin,” to do his work of making all things new. Mary understood this when she said “yes” to God. She knew that when an open mind cooperates with God, then “all things are possible.”

I pray for this kind of mind and heart. My prayer for this kind of mind and heart can be summed up in the words of Soren Kierkegaard when he said, “If I were to wish for anything I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of what can be, for the eye, which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible.”

Faith can move mountains.


A Reprint From My For The Record Column
April 6, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment