Thursday, October 26, 2023

"BABY PICTURES" - ALL FORTY OF THEM

 

I have a hobby - writing! As an "introvert" who loves living alone, I get to spend lots of time writing. I not only write a lot, but computers make it easy to "save" everything I write. Here are a few examples of some of the writing I have saved. I wrote a weekly column for our Archdiocesan newspaper, The Record, for fifteen years. I preached over 65 Parish Missions in several US states. I wrote and delivered a week's worth of talks for  over 150 Priest Convocations in ten different countries. I created and ran the Institute for Priests and Presbyterates, a seminary-based ongoing formation program for priests, for fourteen years. I preach in parishes every weekend and in a nursing home once or twice a week. I preside at several funerals a year. I blog every other day on my Encouraging Word blog. Together, all that writing and saving on the computer, has made it possible to turn some of that material into books - mostly in English, with some translated into Spanish, Vietnamese and even Swahili. 

In the photo above, I have been able to frame most of the book covers and hang them in the downstairs level hallway of my condo. Yesterday, I just finished hanging the fortieth book cover in the gallery which prompted me to write this blog post. I call them my "baby pictures" like a proud parent would of his or her children. 

Reaching forty "baby pictures" reminded of a situation that happened to me in 1970 when I was first ordained. I was assigned to Somerset, Kentucky, an area with very few Catholics. I was at Lake Cumberland with several young adults one Sunday afternoon. They were calling me "Father" loud enough for people around to hear. Not used to seeing Catholic priests and hearing the title "Father" from a swarm of young adults, one woman finally asked me in all seriousness, "Sir! How many kids do you have anyway?"  

I think I can say in all humility that most people have responded positively to my writing. Thankfully, most of those who don't appreciate my writing kindly keep it to themselves. However, I do know of two vocal critics - both priests. One said in public, not out of my earshot, "Oh, that Knott! He has never had a thought he hasn't published!" Another one ridiculed me and one of my columns in The Record a few years back in a mean put-down Letter to the Editor. I heard both of them, loud and clear, but my greatest consolation is realizing that I get enough  affirmation and support to keep me going.  

The responses have been mostly generous and affirming and some of those books may still be effective. A few books that I wrote several years ago, published as paperbacks and e-books, are still selling on Amazon Books every once in a while. Since I give a lot of books away and donate many of them to charitable organizations, I am not getting rich from writing and speaking, but some of those books are still contributing  a few dollars to my retirement "nest egg."  Even more importantly, some people are still "getting something out of them" and I have a hobby that will serve me well as I age and become less mobile. Writing is something I can hopefully do at home for years to come! 

I know for sure that I am not a "great" writer, but I have learned another thing for sure - to write something and put it "out there" for others to read and judge, is a brave thing to do. It definitely opens oneself up to criticism. (If you don't believe me, try writing something, putting it out there in the public and signing your name to it!) Even though I may not be a "great" writer, I do know that I have reached quite a few very good people who have shown their appreciation. As a result, I have always treasured these words of President Theodore Roosevelt who said:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF MY BOOKS, GO TO: 

ronknottbooks.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment