Thursday, December 14, 2023

MEMORIES OF MY CHRISTMAS VISITS TO THE CARRIBBEAN MISSIONS


After making twelve trips down to St. Vincent and the Grenadines, after COVID struck and after the local volcano erupted, I had to end my trips to the Caribbean missions. However, I will never forget the many kids we were able to help especially at Christmas, Easter and the beginning of the school year.  

I remember the toys at Christmas, the chocolate and candy baskets at Easter and the boxes and boxes of school supplies when school started.  I remember the fund-raising, the shopping, the packing, the shipping and the happiness that it brought to the people donating it and the people receiving it - whether it was the huge shipping containers of medical supplies or the candy, food, toys, school supplies, vans and cars, the summer computer camps for kids and the upgrading of a few churches. I will never forget our involvement in the total renovation of the Pastoral Centre with its new St. James Chapel, several retreat rooms, offices, upstairs kitchen, dining room, living room and its air-conditioned meeting room and second kitchen downstairs.    

Yes, I remember all the things that so many of us were able to do for the children, the parishes, the diocesan staff, the Pastoral Centre, the schools and the hospitals, but I will never forget what meeting so many of them has done for me personally. They will always occupy a special place in my heart, especially at Christmas time. 

Sister Nya Ann, Sister Carmen, Santa Claus (Fergal Redmond) and a few of the kids of St. Benedict Home for Children with their Christmas presents (above). 


Sister Zita and a few of her kids from the Bread of Life Home for Children. 


When I first started volunteering, I noticed that many of the kids were carrying white dolls with golden hair that people had sent down. I think I bought over 50 black dolls for the kids. 


Some of the kids for whom we bought Christmas presents were so excited. 


We did not forget the kids on some of the outer islands. Here they are waiting next to a table of presents ready to be opened. 


An ocean of happy kids ready to open their presents. 


I'll never forget this little girl patiently "waiting in joyful hope" for her Christmas present in the "Loaves and Fishes" soup kitchen shelter in downtown Kingstown. 


More kids at one of our Christmas parties at the "Loaves and Fishes" soup kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment