Thursday, September 17, 2015

PASTORAL TEAMWORK

We Did It Together

Over the years I have worked with some wonderful people - people who often worked with low pay and sometimes even little appreciation. In this posting, I want to affirm, thank, show my appreciation once again and tell the world about their talent, dedication and hard work.  
Often, it is the priest who is remembered after he leaves a parish or ministry assignment. Sometimes he even gets the credit for all the successes and accomplishments. 
I tried to affirm them while I was working with them, especially when I moved on, but in case I didn't do enough, I want to throw a spotlight of appreciation on some of the staff members I have worked with over the years. 
Before coming to Louisville, I did not have paid staff members, but several wonderful volunteers, too many to mention. I have never forgotten them and I want to affirm them as well.
CATHEDRAL OF THE ASSUMPTION

Back Row
David Lang (music) and Stanley Barr (maintenance)
Midddle Row
Mary Ballar (social service), Elaine Winebrenner (music), Lanesse Cox (secretary),
Jerre Bassett (maintenance),Mary Kaye Tubello (business manager)
Front Row
Pat Sexton (religious education), Father Knott (pastor), Julie Zoeller (assistant administrator)
I often get the credit, along with Christy Brown, for all that happened during the revitalization of the cathedral. It is this team that really helped bring about the restoration of the cathedral parish and its traditional ministries. There are many other part-time workers like Louise Nevitt, Fred Isert, Robert Baker, Michael Steitz, Shirley Jones, Chrissy McCullough, Larry Love, David Barickman, Phillip Burkhead and others.
VOCATION OFFICE - ARCHDIOCESE OF LOUISVILLE

Linda Banker was my full time assistant during my years there and for several years after I left. She is now a very effective chaplain at Sacred Heart Home. There were several others who overlapped with us or who assisted us full or part-time including Michelle Herberger, Carolyn Kupper, Sister Anita Lowe, OSB and Ian Massey.

SAINT MEINRAD SEMINARY AND SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY


Father Ronald Hodges, now a priest of the Davenport Diocese, (formerly Father Gabriel OSB of Saint Meinrad Archabbey), helped implement many of the early Institute for Priests and Presbyterates programs.   

Joseph Cook and Lea Ann Olinger. Lea Ann and I were together the whole time I was Director of the Institute for Priests and Presbyterates. Joe came after Father Gabriel left. Like the many I worked with before, these two staff members are competent, dedicated, hard-working and a pleasure to work with, day in and day out. There are heroically carrying on while they wait for a new director to come on board.

BELLARMINE UNIVERSITY

Melanie Prejean-Sullivan, Director of Campus Ministry, and Karen Shadle, Associate Director of Catholic Worship and Campus Ministry. Melanie and I started our 16th year of working together this fall. Melanie is another of those prize partners in ministry. Karen joined us a few years ago. Her abilities are appreciated, especially her music and liturgy abilities. She fulfilled a dream Melanie and I  have had for many years. 

Friars George, Antony and John (Conventual Franciscan priests from India) are also helping us out in campus ministry especially during the week and when I have to be gone on Sunday nights. Here they were serving up snow cones that the campus ministry program was giving out to welcome students back on campus. Great guys!  A real asset!