Tuesday, September 15, 2015

No Wonder I'm Fat

Nord's Bakery on Preston

My retired doctor, Dr. Kevin Curran, once said to me at the end of one of my annual physicals, "Father Knott, you need to get off the banquet circuit."  He was, of course, referring to my weight. Since I lead so many priest convocations here and abroad, banquets are indeed one of the hazards of my job. However, it cannot all be blamed on banquets. 

As I wrote in a previous post, since I retired I like to go to Sunergos Coffee Shop on Preston many mornings when I am home. Next to the coffee shop is Nord's Old Fashioned Bakery. I have been going there even before Sunergos opened. If you go there often, it's one of those places where "everybody knows your name." Sometimes the lines are so long, you would think it is one of those new "drug stores" in Colorado.  I do believe their doughnuts are addictive.  I even volunteered to work there when I was on sabbatical, which caused many customers to take a "double take." "Hey, aren't you ... uh ... Father Knott?"
                                           


Nord's! It's Germantown at its best! Nord's Bakery


Mike Nord, "The Cake and Doughnut Boss of Germantown"

ASK FOR MIKE! TELL HIM FATHER KNOTT SENT YOU!
MAYBE I'LL GET A FREE DOUGHNUT!
Two of my "doughnut pusher" friends: Evelyn Martinez and Jasmine Betts.