Monday, July 25, 2016

For Me Vacations Are Hard to Take

MY FIRST REAL VACATION IN SEVERAL YEARS
A Cruise from Vancouver (Canada) to Alaska and Back

Because I travel a lot in my work leading priest convocations, I haven't had a real vacation in several years. I can't even remember how long it has been - maybe eight years. The last vacation I had planned, three years ago, I had to cancel because of a blood clot. 

Since I will be in Vancouver, Canada, for two back-to-back priest retreats next spring, I have decided to take one of those seven-day cruises to Alaska. After all, the Archdiocese of Vancouver will be paying my airfare up to Canada and back to Kentucky, so why not? I'll be over half-way to Canada!



7-Day Roundtrip Vancouver

It is hard for me to take vacations. It is always a problem of "who would I go with" and "who would want to go with me." The best vacation in my life was a cruise through the Greeks islands in 1995 for my 25th anniversary. The second best vacation in my life was several years ago when I spent a whole month on a empty beach in the panhandle of Florida in February by myself. It was really an extended retreat. 


Florida



My idea of a great vacation - my own beach!


Somewhere in Spain.



Taize, France


Maine


Greece


The island country of St Marteen


San Francisco


Maine


Seattle


Mexico


Puerto Rico


A sketch made in The Bahamas



I have no idea!


Florida