Friday, March 31, 2017

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME






Entrance to my condo - up the path behind the garage. My garage is the one on the left. My condo windows are blocked by the garage. 


My condo is in the middle building. 

BEING AT HOME

My column in The Record for January 19, 2017 

Should I not be seeking a pleasing home for you?
Ruth 3:1

I was extremely busy all last year. I was away from home a lot leading priest retreats and volunteering in the missions. To give you an idea, I still have 250,00 frequent flyer miles on American Airlines, 150,000 on United Airlines and about 40,000 on Delta Airlines.

I was in many wonderful places in the United States like Monterey, Portland (Oregon), Dallas, Scranton, Davenport and Memphis. In Canada, I was in Sault Ste. Marie, Pembroke and Nelson, In the Caribbean, I was in Trinidad, Barbados and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. It might all sound romantic, getting to go to all those places, but normally all I got to see was the hotel the priests gathered in and the airport terminal. The best part was all the interesting bishops and priests I met and interacted with, usually a week at a time.

Dorothy was right, “There’s no place like home!” Many times, especially those weeks when I was so tired I was dragging myself to the airport, I just wanted to sleep in my own bed, no matter how nice the hotel was! As some of the weeks wore on, I just wanted to be “at home.”

I live alone. Some of you might find that terrifying, dreadful and even pitiful. As a true introvert, often mistaken for an extrovert, I simply love it. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I am most “at home” in my own home. It is a place of renewal, restoration, recuperation, regeneration, revitalization, revival and rebirth. I love it so much that I invested in an in-home nursing care policy a few years back so I would not have to go to an institution any earlier than I would have to.

After many years of intense inner personal, I am also "at home in my own skin." As Bruce Springsteen said, "It's a sad man, my friend, who's livin' in his own skin and can';t stand the company." I don't feel like I am playing a role or pretending to be anybody other than myself. I have come to appreciate my talents and accept my shortcomings. I don't try to appear younger than I am, smarter than I am, holier than I am or more loved than I am. I don't beat myself up for not being perfect and I don't need everyone to approve of what I do or love me. 

Going into 2017, I feel "at home" in my own house and I feel "at home in my own skin. I am following a vocation that keeps bringing me great satisfaction. I am carrying no grudges, jealousies or resentment. In fact, I feel like one of the luckiest people in the world to have come from where I came from and be where I am today. 

May you feel "at home" during this new year - both in who you are and where you live. 



The view from my deck - summer.



The view from my deck - winter. 




Another midnight view from my deck - winter.


The deck 



Master bedroom 


Living room with computer work area. 


Dining area. 



Kitchen. 



Library area. 




Guestroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment