Thursday, November 23, 2017

I CAN STILL REMEMBER SINGING IT EVERY YEAR.......


....EVEN THOUGH I COULD ONLY RECALL A FEW WORDS. 

We used to sing this song in grade school (1950-1958) every year around Thanksgiving. Recently, a car commercial used this song and caused me to remember it, but I could not get past the first two lines. Thanks to the internet, I found the song quickly and the first eight lines easily came to mind. 

We did not have horses or sleighs and grandma lived across the road from us in Rhodelia, but this is the picture that came to mind even then - a small town New England landscape. 

Not having the foggiest idea what New England looked like, I must have been influenced by a picture in a book or on the wall of the classroom, maybe the words themselves or maybe Sister James Anthony, herself from Boston, but it was always a snowy New England landscape  that came to mind.   

I find it fascinating when a bit of childhood comes to mind. I find it even more interesting that the internet can usually fill in the blank spaces.  


                 

Over the river and through the woods,
To grandmother's house we go;
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh,
Through (the) white and drifted snow!
Over the river and through the woods,
Oh, how the wind does blow!
It stings the toes and bites the nose,
As over the ground we go.
Over the river and through the woods,
To have a first-rate play;
Oh, hear the bells ring, "Ting-a-ling-ling!"
Hurrah for Thanksgiving Day!
Over the river and through the woods,
Trot fast, my dapple gray!
Spring over the ground,
Like a hunting hound!
For this is Thanksgiving Day.
Over the river and through the woods,
And straight through the barnyard gate.
We seem to go extremely slow
It is so hard to wait!
Over the river and through the woods,
Now Grandmother's cap I spy!
Hurrah for the fun! Is the pudding done?
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!

by 
Lydia Maria Child
1844


THANK YOU, SISTERS!


This old song reminded me again this year how thankful I am for the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth who taught me in grade school. They taught me to sing this song. We sang it in every grade. 

I went to St. Theresa Academy 1950-1952. I went to St. Theresa School  1952-1954. When it became a public school, it was called Cross Roads School 1954-1958. All the same school - different names. 

I was taught by Sister Mary Ancilla, Sister Rosalinda, Sister James Anthony and Sister Agnes Bernard. 

I loved them! God bless them for their selfless service! May they rest in the peace of God's love and my gratitude! 

No comments:

Post a Comment