Tuesday, November 10, 2020

A REFLECTION ON KEEPING COMMITEMENTS

 

Rev. J. Ronald Knott

Jesus said to his disciples: “This is my commandment” love one

another as I love you. No one has greater love than this, to lay

down one’s life for one’s friends.

John 15: 12-16

Friends, let me begin with an obvious disclaimer. I am not married, nor have I ever been. I may not know all the ins and outs of married life, but I do have fifty years of experience in keeping a similar sacramental commitment to God and his people, “for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, until death.”  Allow me, then, to share what I know with you who have a similar commitment to God. to each other and, yes, to the whole community.  Marriage is not just a private, personal event. It affects the whole community. It has a public dimension or else you wouldn’t need a license from the state.

The first thing I know, after fifty years of experience, is this: it is much easier to make such a commitment than it is to keep a commitment. I remember an old television commercial I saw many years ago. I don’t even remember what they are advertising, but it shows a pathetic couple being married in one of those hideously tacky Las Vegas wedding chapels while two old ladies look on. The old ladies both oooh and aaah before looking at each other and saying, “They don’t have a clue!”  I will leave the ooohs and aaahs to others, but I want to share some truth with you!

Thinking back to May 16, 1970, the day I was ordained in front of packed Cathedral of witnesses, I did not have a clue about what I was getting in to really! All I had was a faith that what God had called me to, he would help me remain faithful to! 

The second thing I know, after fifty years of being a priest and witnessing marriages, is this:  ordinations and weddings are not magic where the bishop lays hands on a young man or a priest waves his hands over a young couple and they automatically live “happily ever after.”  Like fragile plants in a scorching sun and water-deprived soil, both priesthood and marriage take constant attention and focused care. Half of my ordination class are no longer priests and over half of all marriages do not last. I am convinced that failed priesthoods and failed marriages are seldom done in by external forces, they simply starve to death! They are not killed by some evil outside force. They starve to death from a lack of personal care and focused attention!    

Back in 1970, on my ordination day, I remember committing myself to being a priest, but I also remember clearly committing myself to trying my best to remain a priest by not leaving it to chance.  I made a promise to myself that I would nurture my commitment with a fierce intensity. I decided that, if I were going to be a priest, I would try my level best to be a happy and effective priest! I followed my up and down, back and forth, progress by journaling. I now have about eighteen volumes. I am still a priest by God’s grace, but I am certain that even God’s grace needed to be responded to!

The third thing I know, after fifty years of being a priest and witnessing marriages, is this: our two worst enemies are entropy and acedia – strange words that we need to become familiar with if we hope to keep such commitments long-term!  

Entropy is that natural, spontaneous and unremitting process of decline, decay and disorder unless there is an opposing force working against it.

Anyone who owns a home knows that it will fall into ruin pretty quickly without regular maintenance and constant upkeep.  One of the hardest points to get across in marriage preparation programs is the point that just because you are "in love" today and promise to "be true to you in good times and bad," does not mean your marriage will survive without constant care and maintenance. Most marriages that fall apart, fall apart because of neglect. Gardens need weeding! Friendships needs cultivating! Professionals need continuing education! Even our faith, unattended, is subject to withering on the vine! A huge percent of the people who tell me they no longer believe, will also tell you they did next to nothing to nourish that faith! Entropy is that natural, spontaneous and unremitting process of decline, decay and disorder unless there is an opposing force working against it.

Acedia is the word used by fourth century monks for our other commitment enemy.  Acedia is not a disease, it’s a temptation – a temptation to disconnect, to stop caring, to stop making an effort. It is a temptation that can grow and harden into a persistent attitude of apathy and cynicism which is deadly to any kind of personal or spiritual growth.

I find it fascinating that acedia, in its root meaning, means negligence - a negligence that leads to a state of listlessness, a lack of attention to daily tasks and an overall dissatisfaction with life, of not caring or not being concerned with one’s position or condition in the world. The sooner it is confronted, the more success one has in that confrontation.

We all know priests, married couples and parents who woke up one day and found themselves in precisely this spot – with feelings of being stuck with few options and little hope. Maybe we are even one of them! If we were to be honest with ourselves, we would have to admit that we didn’t get there overnight. It happened because of extended neglect. We didn’t take the time to nourish ourselves from the inside out. We didn’t stop to “fan into flame” the gift that God gave us - no matter whether we are a parent, partner or priest!

Friends, my advice to anyone  about to make a permanent commitment is two-fold.  Be aware of entropy - that natural tendency in the universe toward decay and decline unless there is another force working against it. Like you would a new car or a new house, do the necessary regular maintenance on this marriage to “keep it up.”   Resist the temptation of acedia – the temptation to quit giving a damn that is the result of negligence that could finally lead to ruin.    

Finally, it has been statistically proven that if you keep God in your marriage, you will have a better chance of success. That daily generous free help from God is called grace.  It’s there and it’s free, but you have to respond to it, you have to do your part! I know one thing for sure, I have survived fifty years of priesthood, not because I was lucky, but because of God’s grace and my focused attention to personal and vocational maintenance! I hope you will make every effort to do the same! Long-term happiness is available to you, but it is not about luck and it is not an accident! It requires a wholehearted openness to God’s grace, that free help that he offers you every day.

If you want to live “happily ever after,” doing your homework will certainly help!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 















No comments:

Post a Comment