Saturday, November 14, 2020

WHAT WERE YOU DOING ON JULY 3, 1972 AND 1977?


I was eating lunch in Taize, France, between my two Belgian friends - Jacques on the left and Pol on the right.  Pol, Anneke (his wife-to-be who joined us in the following years) and I have remained friends all these years. I have visited them outside Rome and in Belgium. They have visited me here in Kentucky, with and without their children, a few times. Pol sent me a treasure trove of old photographs this week. Pol is now Professor Emeritus, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering at the Catholic University of Leuven (Louvain) in Belgium.  Pol and Anneke have lived and worked all over the world including a stint at Purdue University in Indiana. 


Five years later, here Pol and I are walking down one of the streets of Cluny in France  (home of the famous Medieval abbey) on July 3, 1977. I believe that is my favorite pastry shop on Pol's right. Delicious! Beautiful! Sweets to die for! I think we hitch-hiked the two mile trip from Taize several times in the five years I was there.  


Anneke and Pol Coppin, sons Sten and Jan, when they visited me in Kentucky in 1987. Matti, a third son, had not been born yet.

Anneke, myself, Sten and Jan

This is third son, Matti,  on a later 1994 trip to Kentucky 

Sten and Jan are married and have children. Matti is still single. 






 

2 comments:

  1. I just found and read this now, great memories, 'Uncle Ron.' I still remember visiting the cathedral in Louisville and getting a behind the scenes look! I hope you are doing well.
    Love from our little family currently in the Philippines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! So glad you found that post on my blog! You were a little boy at that time! Thank you for the e-mail. If you can, send a couple of recent pictures. You can keep up with me on my blog where you saw the post www.FatherKnott.com
      All the best! "Uncle Ron" I have many Filipino friends here is Louisville - mostly
      doctors.

      Delete