Thursday, April 29, 2021

I HAVE UNTIL OCTOBER TO DECIDE

 SHOULD I GO? SHOULD I STAY?  

I have led well over 160 priest retreats and convocations in nine countries in the last 17 years, even after turning down invitations to Singapore, Tonga, Nigeria and India because of their distances. I had to cancel three invitations to Canada just last year because of COVID. After missing a whole year, I thought that my days of long-distance travels, especially to lead priest retreats, were over. Just when I had adjusted to that thought, I got an invitation to lead another priest convocation May 16 - May 20, 2022 for the Bishop and @100 priests of the Diocese of Honolulu, Hawaii.  I was told that the convocation would be held at the Turtle Bay Resort on the north shore of Oahu. 

I had turned them down a few years ago because of a scheduling conflict, but they are back again and really hoping I can come this time. I was recommended by one of their priests who had attended my convocation in the Archdiocese of Regina in Saskatchewan, Canada, a few years ago. 

Since it is more than a year away, I told them I would give them a tentative "yes" that I would confirm or cancel by October of this year. On one hand, who knows what traveling will be like by next year? Who knows what condition I will be in by next year? On the  other hand, who would turn down such an offer - all expenses paid and a nice speakers stipend to boot? It certainly has given me something to consider between now and October! 

I have a lot of thinking to do.......and you think you have problems!  Retirement can bring on a lot  of stresses! I am sure I can probably find a way to handle this one too! Besides, it presents me with another opportunity to raise a little more money for my charities! 







No comments:

Post a Comment