Tuesday, April 27, 2021

WHO SAID "BAD" CAN'T GET "WORSE?" ---- SAINT VINCENT UPDATE





A TRUE ONGOING DISASTER IN THE MIDDLE OF A COVID EPIDEMIC

IT'S HEART-BREAKING WHEN YOU KNOW THE PEOPLE


Besides all the heavy ash deposits causing roofs to collapse, polluting the water supply and killing the vegetation and animals (food supply), I just heard that hot lava is now coming out of the volcano! 20,000 have been evacuated off the island and thousands more are living with relatives or living in homeless shelters, including the orphans of Saint Benedict Home for Children. All this is happening in a COVID epidemic! 
When I feel like complaining about something, I stop and try to remember that I only have "aggravations," while the poor people of Saint Vincent have real "problems." 

The "Georgetown" mentioned in this video is the home of the orphanage, Saint Benedict Home for Children, Saint Benedict Church and Ligouri House where a Redemptorist priest and Brother live. 
North of Georgetown is Sandy Bay where Our Lady Star of the Sea Church that we renovated with red chairs from our Cathedral in Louisville, new fans, statues and a large crucifix and Stations of the Cross from the Ursuline Sisters and Providence Sisters were completely crushed under the weight of a collapsing roof. 


Even though I decided to "officially" end my trips down to Saint Vincent and the Grenadines back in January because of COVID, I did not foresee a major volcano eruption coming. Even though I dissolved my CATHOLIC SECOND WIND GUILD at that time, I am still in contact with Bishop County and several of his staff on a regular basis. 
The needs are many and the problems will be long-term, but if anyone is moved to help I want you to know that I can still deposit checks made out to SAINT BARTHOLOMEW CHURCH - SVG MISSION FUND into their account if they are sent to me.

Rev. Ronald Knott
1271 Parkway Gardens Court
#106
Louisville, KY 40217    


With the help of our local SUPPLIES OVER SEAS organization who salvage surplus 
medical supplies and the help of some funds I still have in my R.J. MISSION PROJECTS
account, I was able to pack 6 boxes (312 pounds) of "toiletries" for my friends down in Saint Vincent who are suffering from the ongoing effects of the still erupting volcano. Bishop County and his staff suggested that these items were most needed at this time: bar soap, shampoo, tooth brushes and paste, razors, hair brushes and combs, toilet paper, deodorant, Kleenex, wipes and bandages.  Simple things like washing your hair and taking a bath can be a huge problem when everything is covered with layers of volcanic ash and the water supply has been compromised.
I was hoping to send them today, but I was told by the people of AMERIJET that they have yet to resume flights down to that island country because of volcanic ash. I was told to hold the boxes for a few more days and to contact them again to see if they had clearance.   




No comments:

Post a Comment