Monday, January 17, 2022

THE POWER OF WALKING AWAY




There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be silent and a time to speak.
Ecclesiastes 3: 1;7

One of the advantages of "social media" websites is that it gives everyone a platform for their opinions. One of the disadvantages of "social media" websites is some people's tendency to use them to demean, criticize, gossip about, show off and put down other people's opinions, looks, political or religious perspectives and standing in the community.  The reason I do not have a Face Book account is that I have come to believe that its downside far outweighs its upside.

Instead, I decided several years ago to start this BLOG called "An Encouraging Word." It is an extension of my preaching ministry where I try to look for goodness to affirm, rather than evils to condemn. It comes from a long-held belief that there is still a lot of "goodness" out there, but it often gets little attention in the swamp of "badness." There are plenty of condemners of "what's wrong with everybody and everything" already out there so I have decided to speak mainly about "what's right" out there. 

Recently, I was given an opening and opportunity to publicly "leap into the fray" of a brewing collision of opinions. Such invitations are now coming daily and sometimes hourly. Sometimes I have entered the ring. This time, I have decided not to take the bait! Oh, I do have strong opinions about that issue and they boil under the surface. Inside, I am outraged. This time, however, I decided to simply  remove myself from that battlefield, say nothing and let my absence speak for me. I am not one to give up easily, but I believe that this situation requires a different response. Silence can sometimes be an even more powerful response than "using one's voice." For me, in this particular situation, saying nothing implies "non-complicity" in an even more  powerful and effective way than "speaking out." If you want a tennis game to end, you don't have to negotiate with the other player, all you have to do is quit hitting the ball back over the net! 



“You are most powerful when you are most silent. People never expect silence. They expect words, motion, defense, offense, back and forth. They expect to leap into the fray. They are ready, fists up, words hanging leaping from their mouths.
Alison McGhee

 



 "When your horse dies, get off! 
Cowboy Wisdom 





 



 


 


1 comment:

  1. In light of the blog,I shouldn't say anything, but I will say, "cheers!"

    ReplyDelete