Thursday, September 5, 2024

I CAN'T HELP IT! I AM ADDICTED TO PROJECTS

 


When I retired, I promised myself that I would do all I could to "reinvent" myself as many times as I could till my time here on earth was up! I have "reinvented" myself at least three times and, while doing so,  I have finished three major projects.  However, at the beginning of this year I kept hearing myself say, "No more projects! I need to give up taking on projects!" I heard what I said to myself several times, but I did not follow my own advice. I am already committed to four more small projects - one is an annual commitment outside this country, one is a commitment this coming Christmas in a second country,  one is in the works in a third country and one is ready to be implemented locally! 

The quote below was responsible for much of the passion and progress I have made in my self-directed personal growth plan since 1965. It was on a fire-escape that year that I made a pledge to myself to get out of the back seat of my life and get behind the wheel! I decided to be "intentional" about directing myself toward the life I felt called to! My goal was to develop a passion for both personal excellence and vocational excellence!  In short, my goal was to try to be both "good" and "good at it," not only for my own personal benefit, but for the good of the people I encounter. 

I am truly amazed and so grateful that I stumbled across this quote that ended up becoming so personally "formational." 

______________

“This is the true joy in life, being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. Being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it what I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.”

George Bernard Shaw


No comments:

Post a Comment