Tuesday, April 21, 2020

THE PAIN OF FELLOW CATHOLICS IN THE GRENADINES





WE WERE MAKING GREAT PROGRESS UNTIL THIS INTERNATIONAL CRISIS


I CANNOT AND WILL NOT GIVE UP TRYING TO HELP
A WORRIED AND SLEEPLESS BISHOP IN HIS TIME OF NEED

Bishop Gerard County seeing me off at the airport at the end of my last visit. 

Fergal Redmond, Martin Folan (from Ireland) and myself (United States)
Diocese of Kingstown, SVG, Volunteers

Knowing how critical things are in the Diocese of Kingstown, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, I recently paid the salaries of the bishop and his eleven priests for one month. They are paid so little that all 12 salaries for a month amounted to only $2,550.00 total! Three other people joined me and they have added a couple more months together. This has allowed the Bishop to focus on the lay salaries. Down the road, I don't know what they will do to support the diocese even after having let four Pastoral Staff members go.  Below is an e-mail I got from the worried, but grateful, bishop.
Bishop Gerard County

Fr. Ron and Fergal,

Good day. Easter greetings from SVG. I just came into my office feeling very listless and I know that I am feeling that way because yesterday I realized that funds are running low. As a result I did not sleep well last night. I prayed about it this morning and asked the Lord to guide me as to how to proceed especially in helping me to see how we can bring about some form of financial sustainability to the Diocese. I took some action before Easter and I am awaiting a reply. I must say that this email is a sign that God continues to work his miracles and especially through us his disciples. Fr. Ron, words cannot express my thanks to you for this immediate assistance. I am moved and touched by your generosity. THANK YOU FR. RON. Fergal, my thanks to you also. It is a sign that the Lord is truly risen ALLELUIA, ALLELUIA.

Fraternally in the Holy Spirit,
Bishop Gerard



The financial outlook in this mission diocese is becoming more dire, especially during this pandemic - with the probability of things getting much worse in the weeks and months ahead. 

I was able to pay an outstanding past-due bill of $600.00 for the flour, sugar and rice used last year at the Our Lady of Guadalupe Home for Girls, which burned in a fire a few weeks ago. These items cost $50.00 a month. I am hoping someone will step forward to pay a month or two going forward to help them out during this critical time of trying to survive in their temporary home after such a tragic loss! 

I was also able to find the funds to pay for one month ($1,000.00) of round-the-clock nursing care for an elderly island priest who is living in one of the basement rooms of the Diocesan Pastoral Centre. $1,000.00 sounds like a lot of money, but compared to what nursing care costs in the United States, it is a pittance. I don't know where the next month or two of support is coming from, but I am hoping some generous souls will step forward and help take care of a poor priest in his old age. 

Then there are the orphans! I have a box ready to go down next week with a supply of powdered milk, sugar, canned tuna and cookies. I am praying that the virus does not invade the Children's Home! If it does, God help them and those who care for them!


Some of the smaller islands do not have medical clinics, much less, hospitals. I am also sending down a big box of First Aid items to a nurse on the island of Mayreau. Hopefully, she can share some of it with one of the other islands.  I worry especially about the people on these outer islands during this pandemic. The only thing that protects them is their isolation and that might not be enough! 

The needs of the islands, at times, seem endless. Poverty is a constant grinding reality. Because I actually know many of the people by name and by face, I can't just turn my head. I feel compelled to do what I can personally and ask anyone who can help out a bit to assist me. 
I realize there are needs here at home also. Yes, I have been helping some local people as well. However, I am still hoping a few good people will join me and help out a bit down there as well! Regardless, I am going to keep doing what I can to help even if it's just a little bit. 



IF YOU ARE ABLE TO HELP ME OUT
make your tax deductible check payable to

Saint Bartholomew Church - SVG Mission Fund 

and send it to me for immediate deposit in their account.  



Rev. Ronald Knott

1271 Parkway Gardens Court

#106

Louisville, KY 40217

No comments:

Post a Comment