Tuesday, December 29, 2020

THE SILVER LINING

 

During this pandemic, it has been hard to stay positive and see anything good in it. After I got home from my latest of three funerals (Eddie Hardesty),  I went to my computer to look at the live-stream recording to see how it went. As I was watching the funeral in beautiful color, I started to think about how much more unbearable it would be if we had to go through this pandemic without computers! 

We have been able to stay connected, even while maintaining "social distance." We have been able to grocery shop and Christmas shop from home and have it all delivered wherever it needed to go. We  can talk to friends, family and grandchildren as if they were right in front of us. I can talk to my friends, as I see them "live" on the screen, as far away as Ireland, Germany and the Caribbean. We can do it as often as we like and mostly for free!

Maybe one of the greatest advantages of the computer is the ability to stay connected to our churches without having to be there. We can watch Sunday Masses live-streamed from our parishes in living color! We can even attend funerals of loved ones even if we are too old, too busy, too scared or too far away to attend. I noticed as I watched Eddie Hardesty's funeral a couple of days following, over 500 people had already viewed the video, even though no more than 50 people were there in person!  

Yes, even with "clouds" there seems to be a "silver lining." During this pandemic, one of the biggest "silver linings" has to be the computer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment