Saturday, June 4, 2022

REMEMBERING MY TIME WITH THE PRIESTS OF WINNIPEG, CANADA


PRIEST RETREAT 2010
Wilderness Edge, Manitoba

Archbishop James Weisgerber (red shirt - third row) and the priests of the Archdiocese of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada 


It's hard to believe that I led this priest retreat eleven years ago, but I have very fond memories of this retreat in the middle of nowhere in northern Manitoba in the town of Wilderness Edge. It earned its name! It was in a small town where a former nuclear power plant was once located. The "hotel" was a former residence for former nuclear power plant workers. I can remember moose walking around the village as if they owned the place. I guess they did!
At the end of the retreat, Archbishop Weisgerber asked if he could personally drive me the two hours down to the Winnipeg airport. We had a marvelous conversation that afternoon. 
One of the gifts he gave me was a copy of the Canadian Lectionary because I had mentioned in one of my presentations on preaching that I wanted to be buried with a lectionary in my hands when I died. 
I keep that Lectionary with my funeral plans. I hope to be laid out in my casket clutching it.
Here is the inscription the archbishop wrote on one of the front pages: 

 
May 28, 2010
To Ron:

In gratitude for the inspiring retreat.
You've really made a difference. 
Keep us in your prayers so that we may rise to the challenge. 
+ Jim Weisgerber
Archbishop of Winnipeg

No comments:

Post a Comment