Tuesday, October 11, 2022

THE BIG QUESTIONS

 


You shall love the Lord, your God,
with all your heart, with all your being,
with all your strength, and with all your mind,
and your neighbor as yourself.”

Luke 10:25-37

I have grown to love the 2007 movie, “The Bucket List,” starring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. It’s about two terminally ill old men on a road trip with a list of things to do before they “kick the bucket.” 

In one of my very favorite scenes, they are both sitting on one of the pyramids in Egypt. Morgan Freeman’s character says to Jack Nicholson’s character, “You know the ancient Egyptians had a beautiful belief about death. When their souls got to the entrance to heaven…the gods asked them two questions. Their answer determined whether they were admitted or not. “Have you found joy in your life?” “Has your life brought joy to others?” 

Because I retired seven years ago, it was serendipitous that I should stumble onto it. It occurred to me that it raised a ton of questions for reflection for my retirement. Those two questions may have been two of the most important questions facing me as I sought to create a second life with the experiences I have accumulated. “Have you found joy in your life?” “Has your life brought joy to others?” 

Many people my age, going into retirement, speak of retirement as a time to pamper themselves and finally be able to do whatever they want to do! Our culture teaches us that retirement is a time for self-indulgence. Move to Florida! Sleep in! Putter around the garden or workshop! Play golf every day! Hang out at McDonald’s and drink coffee till noon with other old men! God spare me! Thomas Merton was right when he said, “The biggest human temptation is to settle for too little.”

My main goal in retirement is first of all to challenge the temptation, from my own mind and from the mouths of others, to think too small. I didn’t want to quit being a priest, but I wanted to be a priest in a new way. I certainly wanted to do more than keep doing what I have always done, but less of it. I certainly didn’t want a permanent vacation. I have spent my whole life as a priest dreaming bigger than what was considered wise. Some of those dreams did not materialize, but more than I could have imagined, have materialized! I wanted my retirement to be a springboard to adventure, not a hammock for my lazy side to lie in.

We have been conditioned to think small, to be happy and thankful for what we have and to expect less from life. It is very convenient to think like that, because if you do, you don’t have to do anything. It lets you out of a whole lot of work.

What does it mean to have joy in your life? The ancient Egyptians may have had their test, but Jesus has a similar test. He asks us today in the gospel, “Were you able to find joy in fully loving God by fully caring for yourself and your neighbor? Jesus tells us in the Gospel of John that he came “to bring life and life to the fullest.” God created us out of love and all he wants from us is for us to milk the life he has given us for all its worth! He wants a passionate commitment to God, self and neighbor. He wants our happiness most of all! St. Irenaeus is famous for saying “The glory of God is man fully alive.” By that he meant that the best way to love God fully is to do the most with the lives God has given us.

Jesus’ own Parable of the Talents says as much. We are all given talents to invest, some of us more and some less, but all of us are given talents to invest. To bury them and not invest them is a bigger sin than taking a risk and failing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment