Monday, January 9, 2023

MY EMERGENCY BAPTISM


 

September 1950
That's "Grandma Knott" surrounded by Aunt Amelia, Aunt Margaret and some of her many grandchildren. 
That's me sitting on the ground. I was 6 years old going into the first grade.

Lillian Delia Mills Knott
1890 - 1971
daughter of 
Joseph Mills and Elizabeth Baskett

On this Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, I am always reminded of the extraordinary circumstances of my own birth and baptism on April 28, 1944. 

I was delivered at home by my country midwife paternal grandmother "Lillie" as she was known. Both my mother and I almost died during the birthing process. My grandmother, with years of experience as a midwife, knew what to do. She baptized me right there is the bed in which I was born and had someone go get a doctor.  

She lived across the road from us so I was close to her as a child and spent a lot of time with her. I helped her grind sausage, churn butter and I worked with her in her vegetable garden. I can't remember her talking a lot. She would just invite me to do new things and then show me how to do them without a whole lot of talking. She always wore her hair pulled-back and rolled-up in a bun  on the back of her head. To me, it was a symbol of her wise and practical nature. 

I did not know that she had baptized me until I called my pastor for a baptismal record before ordination. No one had bothered to tell me. You can imagine my surprise when the priest said, "Oh, I see your grandmother baptized you!" I was happy that she lived long enough to be able to attend my first Mass and follow me during my first year as a priest. 

It was this grandmother who "birthed" me into this world and this grandmother who "birthed" me into the family of God!  I still remember her every year on my birthday and every year on today's Feast of the Baptism of Our Lord."

Her birthday is this Thursday January 12. She would have been 133 years old this year.  I will remember her that day as well. 

"Reading Devotions to Grandfather" 
by
Albert Anker
1893



No comments:

Post a Comment