Thursday, September 19, 2024

PAYBACK TIME

I had just turned 14 in the photo below, taken minutes before getting in the car to go to St. Thomas Seminary in 1958 to begin a twelve year program to become a priest - something I wanted to do since I was seven years old! At that age, I did not realize how much the cards were stacked against me! I was ignorant of things like the coming culture shock of leaving Rhodelia to attend a city high school and all that would entail! I was ignorant of its similarities to a "military style" boarding school! I was totally unaware of how I was going to pay tuition, room and board for twelve years! 

It took an immense determination on my part, it took the help of God almost every hour of every day to survive that process and it took the Archdiocese of Louisville to pay for ALL of my tuition, room and board expenses for ALL twelve years. Yes, I was able to work multiple jobs during the summers to pay for school supplies and personal expenses, but without help from the Archdiocese of Louisville there is no way my family could have paid all those others "boarding school" expenses. 

I have always been grateful for that help, I have never had to borrow money to pay bills after ordination, but I have always looked for ways I could pay back some of that money! I came up with two ways recently. (1) I recently re-worked my Last Will and Testament and will be leaving a good chunk of what I have been able to save to the "Archdiocesan Vocation Fund." (2) I have committed myself to pay the tuition, room and board for a "minor seminarian" in the country of Tanzania where our very own Father John Judy has been volunteering.  

I was already considering a mission project in neighboring Kenya and I had contacted Father John Judy to ask him if I could channel gifts through his 501-3c account "Father John Judy Ministries." I knew from personal experience that it is not a good idea to send money directly to unknown people and sources in mission areas. That is why I still use a Catholic Church in Florida as a conduit for gifts to my own Caribbean Mission projects in St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

As it turned out, Father Judie had a bishop-visitor from Tanzania coming through Louisville. He asked if he could bring Bishop Filbert Mhasi over to my condo for tea and to talk about his mission in Africa and mine in the Caribbean. 
In our discussion, he mentioned a very young seminarian by the name of Kileo Filbert Amos studying in his St. Dionysius Muhuwesi Minor Seminary. (Since he had the same name as the bishop, Filbert, the bishop was very aware of his situation.) Bishop Filbert told me that young seminarian Filbert had recently been sent home because his family could not afford the very-modest $800.00-a-year fee for tuition, room and board. I immediately saw my chance to "pay back" some of the investment that was made in me many years ago. At that price, I promised to "sponsor" seminarian Filbert as long as he is in the seminary (without any pressure of ever being ordained). The bishop left with a check for the first year, with a request to remind me every September that it was  time for another check to be sent to him through Father John Judie Ministries. 

Below is a photo of  the young seminarian, Kileo Filbert Amos, with his mother, his sister (named "Witness") and Bishop Filbert Mhasi. In just a few weeks, I got a letter from young Filbert, one from his school officials and one from Bishop Mhasi. Young Filbert promised to study hard. The seminary official promised to "do their best" to educate him and prepare him for priesthood. Bishop Mhasi told me in his letter that when he told young Filbert's mother, "she was speechless" and he "could see tears dropping from her eyes!"  All three letters thanked me profusely. 


Maybe young Filbert will be a priest, who knows? I believe I was part of a miracle (with a lot of help) when I made it to priesthood, starting out at age 14, and I believe young Filbert could be part of another miracle (with a little help from me). I place no pressure on him being ordained. That is between him and God. It he "makes it," great! If he doesn't get ordained, great too! His life will change for the better with this chance at a good education and personal formation! I am just happy for this "payback time" opportunity. 

I told you that I was "addicted" to projects, didn't I? Well, here is proof that I am still addicted! There will undoubtedly be more (hopefully small) project stories to follow! Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment