Saturday, February 18, 2023

WHEN EVERY OTHER DAY SEEMS LIKE THURSDAY - YOU'RE OLD

 "TEMPUS FUGIT" Latin For "TIME FLIES"


 
When I was younger and in school, it seemed like the weeks and months simply dragged on. A semester seemed to take years and a year could seem like eternity. Today, every third day seems like Thursday as I am getting closer to the end of another week. The older I get, the faster time seems to get away from me. 

One thing in particular seems to exacerbate this tendency to believe that time is picking up speed. GOOGLE PHOTOS resends some of my old photos every day under the headings of "On Year Ago," "Four Years Ago," "Seven Years Ago" and so on. Every time I open GOOGLE PHOTOS, my eyes are drawn to the top bar that present me with several old photos and the years they were taken. Each time, I simply cannot believe my eyes that such-and-such an event happened several years earlier than I might have guessed. To me, if it says seven years ago, I was thinking it was three! If it says four years ago, I might have guessed two! 

In the end, I have to admit that I can't keep "time from flying (tempus fugit)", but I can do what another Latin maxim that I also learned in high school seminary that says. "Carpe diem (seize the day)" - make the most of the days I have left! 

"CARPE DIEM" Latin For "SEIZE THE DAY"



"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Appeared in an advertisement for Edward Stieglitz’s book on aging in a 1947 edition of the Chicago Tribune, falsely attributed to Abraham Lincoln





 




 




No comments:

Post a Comment