Thursday, September 7, 2023

RESOLUTE AND DETERMINED OR JUST PLAIN HARD-HEADED?

YOU CAN NOT TELL A KNOTT THAT HE CAN NOT DO SOMETHING

                                                                                AGE 7
"I DON'T THINK THAT YOU'LL EVER BE ANY GOOD AROUND THE ALTAR"
When I made my First Communion at age 7, Sister Mary Ancilla asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. It was the first time I publicly announced that I wanted to be a priest. Not too long after that, I proceeded to flunk the altar boy test three times! Sister Mary Ancilla, who also trained the altar boys, threw up her hands after I flunked the third time, saying "Ronnie, you are a good kid, but I don't think you'll ever be any good around the altar!" We remained friends until she died, but as "punishment" for that remark I made her sit in the front pew at my first Mass to remind her of her doubting words! We always laughed together about it. Sadly, she did not know that you should not tell a Knott that he can not do something! 

                                                                                   AGE 14
                                               "YOU WON'T MAKE IT TILL CHRISTMAS"
When I was in the eighth grade in 1957-1958, I heard that there was a new seminary in Louisville that would take boys right after the eighth grade. I talked my Dad into taking me to see Father Johnson so that I could get his permission and help getting into that seminary. His response was not positive! He looked me over and barked, "No, you are too little and too young! Go home, grow up and then we will talk about it!" My only defense was to cry! With that, he said, "OK, I will fill out the papers, but you won't last till Christmas!" With that prediction bouncing around in my head, I left for St. Thomas Seminary the fall of 1958 to begin a 12 year program to priesthood! By the time I was ordained, I had spent almost half my life in a seminary! What Father Johnson did not know was that you should not tell a Knott that he can not do something! 

                                                                                  AGE 16
"YOU ARE A HOPLESS CASE! WE ARE SENDING YOU HOME!"
Well, I limped through my first year of seminary - barely! As a country boy, from a very small town, thrown into a urban world with other mostly urban kids, I went into cultural shock. It was like I was from a foreign country trying to learn their language and their culture without any help as far as counseling and guidance went! As a result, in the middle of the first semester of my second year - age 16 - I was called into the seminary Rector's office (Father White). He delivered this blow to my heart and soul, "Mr. Knott, you are a hopeless case! We are sending you home in the morning!" My only defense was to cry again! With that, the Rector backed off and gave me another chance! What he did not know was that you should not tell a Knott that he can not do something! 


AGE 26
"I CAN'T BELIEVE I FINALLY MADE IT!" 
I was not sad, but reflective, in this photo as I waited to go into the Cathedral on May 16, 1970 to be ordained a priest. With my new priest-chasuble over my arm, I guess I could not believe that I had survived 12 years of seminary and had finally made it to priesthood. I was probably thinking about all the people who did not know that you should not tell a Knott that he can not do something! 
                                                                                      
  AGE 26 
                    "MY GOD! WITH THAT EDUCATION, YOU COULD HAVE BEEN SOMETHING"
When I finally made it, neither Father Johnson or Father White were around to give me a chance to gloat or to allow me to rub it in! However, other naysayers were waiting in line. At one of the post-ordination receptions, a young woman asked me how long I had been in school. When I answered, "counting grade school, I have been in school for 20 years" she gasped and said, "My God, you could have been something!" She was probably thinking that I could have gone into something like law or medicine where I could have made a lot of money? What she did not know was that you should not tell a Knott that he can not do something! 

                                                                                   AGE 77
                                                             "FIFTY-ONE YEARS AND COUNTING"
                                                                                  
In 1995, I celebrated my 25th anniversary. In 2021, I celebrated my 50th Anniversary (a year late because of COVID). I have now passed my 53rd anniversary. I will be 80 next year on my 54th anniversary. I don't know how many anniversaries I have left, but I do know one thing. By choice, I will be buried right next  to Father Johnson in the St. Theresa Cemetery. He was the pastor who predicted in 1958 that in the seminary I "wouldn't make it to Christmas!" I just wanted to remind him, and anyone looking at our graves, that you should not tell a Knott that he can not do something! 

With God's Help and Your Courage, Even Impossible Things Become Possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment