Sunday, March 15, 2020

I'M EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED, BUT RESIGNED TO THE IDEA



AFTER MONTHS OF PLANNING.........
.....I AM TERRIBLY SAD ABOUT MY MISSION TRIP CANCELLATION! 

  




As deeply disappointed as I am, I am trying my best to see some positives in the cancellation of my thirteenth mission trip to Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. 



1. I may have been spared being exposed to the caronavirus on the planes or in the Miami Airport. I am being told that I am "high risk" at my age (76).  

2. I did not carry it to the islands with me, after maybe having been exposed to it on the planes or in the airport. It would have been insane to go down there now because it would have been a risk to their health and to mine. I would not have been any help to them and I could actually have become another burden on them. 

3. I don't have to worry about getting sick down there, where the health system is already stretched to the limits, and maybe having to be quarantined for several weeks in Miami and maybe kept from re-entering the United States on my way home. 

4. I could have pushed myself to go only to find out that people down there did not want to take the risk of gathering in a large group for my workshop and could have already cancelled their scheduled attendance.  

5. I heard they were already in a state of panic after just one identified case. The mood would not have been conducive to good learning with "basic survival" concerns on their minds. 

6. The outer islands kids' ninety-seven Easter Baskets are already down there and waiting for them. It is one of the advantages of planning early.  Maybe this treat will give them a little lift during this epidemic.

7. The ticket was very expensive even though I bought it with thousands of my accumulated "frequent flyer miles." When I cancelled, American Airlines generously reinstated those miles back into my "frequent flyer" account. 

8. There is always "tomorrow." What I have to offer can wait. There is no "expiration date" on the material I planned to offer. 

9. Typical of me, I have already come up with an idea of something they can do that will actually prepare them even more for the workshop I will be offering some day soon. 

10. Thanks to "WHATS APP," texts, SKYPE and e-mails, I can stay in regular contact with them even from here. 


IN GOD'S GOOD TIME, NOT MINE

I was reminded by my classmate, Gary Marvin, that one of the last things we learned in the seminary was the difference between chronos and kairos, two Greek words for "time." 

Chronos is the literal measure of time - in hours and minutes.  I was saying, "God, it is March 14! It is "time" for me to go to the islands for my workshop. I need to go now!" Chronos is used 54 times in the New Testament. 

Kairos is "God's time" - the "right time." God was telling me, "It is not yet the "opportune" time for your workshop. The time is not "right" yet. Just wait a bit!" Kairos is used a whopping 86 times in the New Testament. 




No comments:

Post a Comment