Tuesday, June 14, 2022

REMEMBERING MY TIME WITH THE PRIESTS OF WALES


In June 2010, I had the great honor of leading the annual priest retreat for the Archdiocese of Cardiff at an old castle-turned-hotel outside Cardiff in Wales. Both myself and my talks were well received by the priests there. 

Below is the old castle's Anglican chapel and cemetery. 
Below is the main gate into the old castle complex. 
My guest room was in the very corner below in what was once the castle's stables.

I recently heard an old Welsh language song. It reminded me of our 2007 priest retreat. It's lyrics especially reminded me of the priests I met in Wales. Just read the lyrics and get a taste of what the people of that country value in one of their beautiful old hymns. 

READ THE LYRICS IN ENGLISH BEFORE PLAYING THE WHOLE VIDEO

CALON LÂN
(A PURE HEART)

Calon Lân is a Welsh language song, originally written as a hymn in the early 1890s. Daniel James wrote the Calon Lân lyrics and John Hughes the tune. Daniel James was one of five children and was born on 23rd January 1848. His parents were Daniel and Mary who were married at Mynyddbach Chapel in 1844 and lived in Llangyfelach Road, Treboeth, Swansea. Later in life, Daniel used the Bardic name “Gwyrosydd”. John Hughes was born in 1872 in Pen y Bryn , Pembrokeshire and it was he that composed and harmonised the tune at the invitation of Daniel James.




BE SURE USE THE "ENLARGE" FEATURE AT THE BOTTOM RIGHT




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment