Sunday, June 26, 2016

A RELIC OF THE PAST



A CATHEDRAL FAREWELL GIFT RESURFACES

Nineteen years ago, when I was about to leave as pastor of the Cathedral of the Assumption, I took some old floor boards I had retrieved from the renovation project woodpile and had Mr Richard Miller turn those old boards from the floor of the Cathedral into crosses. We bought a wood burning tool to stamp each one. 

It was a way, I thought, I could bless all the homes of the parish before I left by sending a piece of the Cathedral's old  wood floor to each home. The wood, I reminded the parishioners, was "saturated with 125 years of prayers." I blessed them one Sunday and handed them out to every household in attendance. People enthusiastically grabbed them up and took them home with them. 


My friend and co-worker at Bellarmine University, Ms. Melanie Prejean Sullivan, sent me this picture recently. She told me that she had seen this cross hanging in the home of her friend, Stephanie Hughes. 

Truly, it is a small world and, yes, sometimes you do something good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment