Friday, August 26, 2016

THE DREADED ROCKING CHAIR




"When he retired, they gave him a rocking chair and he rocked himself to death."
James Wright

"If you're not in a relationship that continually challenges you for growth and development, and becoming a better version of you day to day; it's like sitting in a rocking chair, rocking, it gives you something to do but you're going nowhere."
Geraldine Vermaak





MY FASCINATION WITH ROCKING CHAIRS STARTED HERE

My earliest memory of my mother was in this rocking chair. I may have been three or four. It was a wonderful breezy spring afternoon. My mother took the time to rock me to sleep for my afternoon nap. I can remember feeling so special, so loved, so cared for as we rocked and the sheer curtains in front of us waved in the breeze coming through the window.



On the porch of a Tennessee State Park. I looked at them, but I didn't sit in them. They scare me.



On the deck of my condo. I never sit in them unless someone is with me.


On the porch of Skytop Lodge in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. I sat in them for a few minutes, but I couldn't take it for long.


The rocker in my living room once belonged to the Rhodes Family of my home town of Rhodelia.
I now own  this rocker, but I never sit in it. I'm almost afraid that if I do, I will never get out of it.



This chair is my retirement gift from Bellamine University. It looks like it should have rockers on it, but it doesn't. Maybe it can be an intermediate step.


THIS IS HOW I HOPE IT ENDS



No comments:

Post a Comment