Monday, November 14, 2016

LEADING THE BARBADOS PRIEST RETREAT - Part One



THAT PRAYER WAS ANSWERED AND THEN SOME


I got here yesterday on the flight from Louisville to Miami to Bridgetown, Barbados, without a hitch. I went through TSA PRECHECK in Louisville, the flight left on time and arrived in Miami just a few minutes late. Even though the connection time was minimal, my Barbados flight was just a couple of gates down from the gate where I landed. With only a few minutes to spare, we boarded and left for Barbados.

What I thought was going to be a major glitch, turned out to be a blessing. The airline did not have custom forms for Barbados on the plane as normal, so after we landed we waited for someone to bring them out to the plane. We stayed on the plane and filled them out. Once inside, I was first in line going through the first station because I had put all the answers on a little card and had it in the back of my passport so I wouldn't have to fumble looking for the answers. I was way ahead of most other people who were looking for that information on tickets and passports. When I went to the second station where they can check your luggage and ask you a bunch more questions, there was a man standing collecting the form without questions and waving everyone through. It turned out to be the easiest entry I ever made into a  Caribbean country.  
  
A permanent deacon candidate/taxi driver was right there to meet me and take me to the bishop's house. Since he was not able to be there when I arrived, the bishop had already texted me the code to his house entry keypad, so I went right in. I already knew where my room was, since I have stayed there a dozen times.  

SOMETIMES THINGS WORK OUT!
AFTER THE OTTAWA TRIP, I NEEDED A BREAK!



AT THE BISHOP'S HOUSE


At the bishop's house, I got Lisa, the housekeeper, to show off her very intricate hairdo!
It is a piece of art, for sure! She got married since the last time I saw her, a year ago, and had a baby.
We always have such interesting conversations.  


THE "BISHOP SHEEN" OF THE CARIBBEAN? HARDLY! 

I spent the morning in the Cathedral rectory in a makeshift "studio" recording short videos for the CATHOLIC COMMUNICATION office - something I am not used to doing. We ended up doing six in all. The last two were totally spontaneous - without any notes. I hope they are OK because they are not something I can undo. 

One of the things my organization, Catholic Second Wind Guild, did was to donate $11,000 worth of recording equipment and set furniture for doing evangelization on Catholic television throughout the Caribbean from their new studio next to the Cathedral. 
Doing the short videos reflects my hope for the Catholic Second Wind Guild - not just for retirees to donate money, but to offer their talents and skills to build up the church of the Caribbean.

Below, in appreciation, Bishop Gordon insisted on taking photos of me in the almost finished studio, The gray wall has a control booth in the back and the green wall will allow for the projection of about any backdrop scenes for the programs he hopes to produce and stream live or for recording and televising later. 











Annual Priest Retreat 
DIOCESE OF BRIDGETOWN
 BARBADOS

Rev. Ronald Knott
November 14-18, 2016

A PROJECT OF THE
CATHOLIC SECOND WIND GUILD PROJECT
Barbados Chapter






Looking very much like a Catholic Bishop. 


 Walking the Camino de Santiago, Spain, last summer. 


On the bus at the Antilles Bishops' Meeting in Trinidad


We had lunch on the beach in Bridgetown during a former visit. 


Being the Bishop of Bridgetown, Barbados


A diocesan "Year of Mercy" event in one of the parishes.


Lunch at the Cathedral Rectory on a recent visit with Bishop Gordon, Father Tom Clark of Bardstown, Kentucky, and four of the local priests.


Recent second dinner in Louisville in honor of Bishop Jason Gordon at the end of the table. 

THE PRIEST RETREAT 
FOR THE 
DIOCESE OF BRIDGEPORT
WILL BE HELD IN MAXWELL, BARBADOS, AT THE


Thanks to a generous Catholic hotel owner, we are holding the retreat at the hotel on the left of the sea wall. 


So far, I haven't had time to walk on the beach. The schedule is pretty tight. Maybe before the week is out? In any regard, it is nice to look at! 


LESSON LEARNED: 
EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE NEIGHBORS, BARBADOS IS NOT ST. VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES

While St. Vincent is basically a dormant volcano, Barbados is flat. 
While St. Vincent has few beaches and little foreign investment, Barbados is a typical island paradise with beautiful beaches and nice hotels.
The Church, however, is small and certainly not rich. 
While the Church in Barbados has different needs, the Church's needs in St. Vincent are much greater.
With your help, I will continue to do what I can to help both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment