Monday, November 14, 2016

WHAT? ME WORRY?

                                                                                    
It occurred to me the other day that I seem to write a lot about aging.  Actually I am quite happy being 72 and headed toward 73. That is not what bothers me. I don't dwell on it. 
What bothers me is that everyone and everything seems hell-bent on reminding me! 
Here are some of my more recent observations. 

1. When people start calling you by your first name at the Kroger Pharmacy and you find yourself embarrassed that they may be thinking, "Here he is back again!"

2. When people bump into you, they insist on calling you "sir," as in "Excuse me, sir!"

3. When you are filling in a blank spot on a computer site asking for your birthday, you have to scan down so far that you almost run out of numbers. 

4. When you are talking to seminarians about something that happened at the Cathedral parish in 1987, they will stop you and say, "Father, I wasn't even born yet!" 

5. You can wake up at 2:00 in the morning, work an hour on your computer, and go right back to sleep. 

6. You are tempted to lie on that form at the doctor's office when they ask you to list your prescriptions and just tell them about the most serious ones. 

7. You are walking across some floor, maybe the airport or the grocery store, and you are shocked by the sound of the shuffling of your own feet as you look around for an old person following you. 

8. You find yourself taking the long way around rather than drive your cart down any isle of the grocery store that features items like DEPENDS, MIRALAX and FIXODENT as if they contain dangerous microbes.

9. You find yourself going to the bathroom "just in case," even when you don't have to go.

10. You keep thinking something that happened 10 years ago just happened three years ago - and you find yourself arguing about it.

                                                                               








   

IF YOU DON'T LAUGH, YOU CRY?
I DO BOTH - MORE AND MORE AT THE SAME TIME! 

No comments:

Post a Comment