Thursday, November 30, 2017

WE MIGHT FEEL POWERLESS TO CHANGE THE WORLD.....


.....BUT WE CAN DO THIS! 

  


DO GOOD
One of the things I struggled with going into retirement was how not to let go of my passion for "doing good" for others. 
Yes, I needed a challenge personally, so I chose another part of the world do it, without giving up doing what good I can do at home. My new CATHOLIC SECOND WIND GUILD has certainly turned out to be that challenge. At home, I am energized by being able to help out at the Cathedral of the Assumption again, continue to offer priest retreats and convocations (here, Canada and the Caribbean), visit three nursing homes regularly and continue to write my blog posts. 

BE GOOD
One of the things we learned in the seminary is that "if you don't have it, you can't give it." (Nemo dat quod non habet). Doing good, I believe, makes you good, while being good makes you want to do good. I am not finished working on myself. I see myself as a work in progress. I hope to be "working my self-improvement programs" the rest of my life. 

SEE GOOD
It is so hard these days to see under, around and over all the meanness, nastiness and evil, but one of the things I learned from writing my ENCOURAGING WORD column every week for fifteen years is that you can train yourself to see goodness all around you.  I believe that we see what we look for, so I try my best to look for the best in people and situations.


DO GOOD - BE GOOD - SEE GOOD
This is a good structure for any "life examination:"
have I done good, have I been good and have I been able to see good?








No comments:

Post a Comment