Tuesday, December 5, 2017

MY FRIEND THE NEW ARCHBISHOP OF PORT OF SPAIN, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO






BISHOP JASON GORDON
becomes
ARCHBISHOP JASON GORDON

   


"Keep in mind that every success begins with the decision to try."

About four years ago, when I was about to retire, I had a dream of starting an organization for retired priests, bishops and lay professionals like myself who wanted something exciting and life-giving to do in our retirement years. I imagined that some of us might offer our gifts and talents to the church in the missions of the Caribbean or maybe the missions of Alaska. However, I had no firm connections, even though I was still working at St. Meinrad Seminary as the founding Director of the Institute for Priests and Presbyterates.


THEN IN HE WALKED




One morning I went down to the seminary dining room before they were serving to get my regular early morning coffee. The only other person in the dining room was Bishop Jason Gordon of Barbados and St. Vincent and the Grenadines, who was visiting his seminarian, Kirt Prospere.

It occurred to me that I should ask him if he needed any help. As I do sometimes when I feel there might be a chance of rejection, I backed away and left the dining room and headed back to my office.
About fifty feet down the hall, I turned around and went back. "What are you thinking? This is your opportunity! Go back and introduce yourself and tell him what you are thinking, " I said to myself.


THE REST IS HISTORY




After I introduced myself and told him what I was thinking, he grabbed me by both shoulders and said, "Yes! We can share your idea with all the bishops of the Caribbean!" I was a bit shocked and started backtracking. "Well, what if I come down first and just visit and see what might be possible."

I have been down to his islands eight times, I have stayed at his house four times and he has stayed at my condo four times. He had been the bishop of both Barbados and St. Vincent and the Grenadines until two years ago, when Rome divided his two dioceses and gave each country their own bishop. He stayed as Bishop of Barbados and Bishop Gerard County became bishop of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.


LIFE HAS CHANGED, NOT ENDED




Several weeks back, he learned that Pope Francis had named him the new Archbishop of Port of Spain in Trinidad and Tobago, the country of his birth and a neighboring island nation. Our relationship will continue. He plans on having an ongoing relationship with St. Meinrad Seminary and I plan on continuing my work in St. Vincent and Barbados, but probably now in Trinidad and Tobago as well. . As he said to me when he found out he was no longer responsible for St. Vincent, "I am not going to let you go! You have to continue to help me!"



With Bishop Jason and his priests when I led their annual priest retreat in Barbados. 


Enjoying dinner, fixed by Bishop Jason himself, on the deck of his apartment in Bridgetown, behind the Cathedral. 


I took this picture of Bishop Jason and a bunch of Caribbean bishops on our way to the house of the Apostolic Delegate to the Antilles at the Vatican Embassy in Port of Spain, Trinidad, a couple of years ago.

Bishop Jason while hiking the "Camino" in Spain.


That's Bishop Jason (front row, right, in top photo and left side, middle, in bottom photo) when I was invited to address the 21 bishops of the Antilles a couple of years ago. 




Bishop Jason preparing for preaching at the radio studio he built beside the Cathedral. 




Bishop Jason Gordon, all dressed up! 


                                 





Next, a Chapter of the Catholic Second Wind Guild in Trinidad and Tobago? 
Probably! 

Besides the countries of St. Vincent and Barbados, I am also involved in the country of Saint Lucia. 


SOMEBODY STOP ME! 




No comments:

Post a Comment