Thursday, May 16, 2019

FORTY-NINE YEARS AGO TODAY I WAS ORDAINED A PRIEST


WHERE DID THE TIME GO?

The time up till ordination seemed like a hundred years. 
The time since ordination seemed more like twenty-five years. 





The day I left for the seminary with a dream, early September 1958, age 14. 







Right before I left for the Cathedral to be ordained a priest on May 16, 1970. I was 26 years old. 


Moments before my dream was about to be fulfilled - dressed and ready to process into the Cathedral. 


What the Cathedral looked like at my ordination - two renovations ago - in 1970. 


MY LITTLE ORDINATION DAY SECRET

Since all my classmates were busy, since I was stationed at Saint John Vianney Parish near Churchill Downs and since I wanted to avoid the next day's "reception preparations" down in my home parish, I decided to stay in Louisville and go to the track!!! 
I was ordained at 10:00 am and I got to the track for the second race! I would have made it to the first race, but a woman met me in the parish parking lot and wanted to go to confession - my very first and she had not been to confession since 1950!






My "First Mass" at Saint Theresa Church, my home parish in Rhodelia. 


Dressed for my "First Mass," Pentecost Sunday, May 17, 1970. 

No comments:

Post a Comment