Thursday, October 24, 2019

I HAVE A NEW NICKNAME!

  "Father Sanford and Son" 



Because I have been gathering used laptops, used church furnishings, surplus medical supplies and discounted school supplies, on-sale toys, used pens and bargain store Easter baskets for the island missions for the last four year, I am now known in some circles as "Father Sandford and Son!" 

I am honored! I guess I have earned it because I cannot get my car in the garage again this month because of the "stuff" I have been collecting for "the missions." 

While I never stop collecting school supplies, it is time for me to start collecting Christmas gifts (toys and candy) for the kids on Saint Vincent.  I hope to be able to send several boxes down by mid November at the latest! 

 

I never pay full price for anything! Recently, I found 18 of these dark-skin dolls deeply discounted. 


Last year we ran low on toys to give out to boys and at the end had to divide these sets of small cars and give each boy only one of them instead of the whole collection.
 I still remember hearing about one young boy from "Bottomtown" getting only one green four-inch car. Rather than being disappointed with such a small gift, he was thrilled with his tiny green car!  (He is pictured below.) I hope Santa can do a little better by him this year! 



(Below) This little girl, dressed in her "good clothes" and with her hair "done-up," waited patiently with wonder in her eyes for Santa to give her a gift last year.  
(I just love this picture!) 
I remember feeling like that as a very young boy growing up in Rhodelia during those days when we got very little for Christmas! 




(Below) On the bed in my guestroom, I have been assembling throughout the last few months 25 freezable insulated personal lunch bags for the priests, Sisters, deacons and Bishop County's Pastoral Centre staff members. For Christmas, each will be filled with inexpensive usable personal items -  from pens to tooth brushes to lip balm. Their salaries are very low compared to here in the US so I hope they will find these items practical and useful.
If I am lucky, I will be able to add a few Caribbean dollars to each lunch bag.  






We especially need some good used laptop computers for our fourth computer camp next summer! 





IF YOU WANT TO HELP WITH THIS YEAR'S CHRISTMAS PROJECT

make your tax deductible check payable to:

Saint Bartholomew Church - SVG Mission Fund 

and send to me: 

Rev. Ronald Knott
1271 Parkway Gardens Court
#106
Louisville, KY 40207

No comments:

Post a Comment