Thursday, November 28, 2019

FILLED WITH GRATITUDE

ON THIS, MY 75th THANKSGIVING DAY

We did not celebrate Thanksgiving Day when I was growing up - at least I don't remember it as family practice when I was a child. 


In the seminary, it was not much of a celebration either. My fondest memories of Thanksgiving Day did not start till I was assigned to the Cathedral of the Assumption. We started the practice of offering a special Thanksgiving Day Mass when I was pastor there. It was one of the best attended celebrations of the year....and it wasn't even one of the "Holy Days." It was a real "family celebration" that was focused on our gratitude to God by helping the poor with things like food, coats and hats. We even blessed loaves of bread for people to share at their family "thanksgiving meal" at home. 


As I have gotten older, I have realized that I don't need a special day for thanksgiving.  The older I get, the more grateful I am becoming. Feelings of gratitude are building as I age. It is so true that I decided to mention it on my new tombstone when I had it installed recently. Right across the top it says carved in granite:

SIMPLY AMAZED - FOREVER GRATEFUL



No comments:

Post a Comment