Friday, March 27, 2020

HOW IS EVERYBODY HOLDING UP?

THE PROBLEM



THE SOLUTION


















TODAY I SAID TO MYSELF 
"Now, Ron, for God's sake get over yourself and wrap your mind and heart around all those people out there who are really suffering!"




FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR OWN SANITY
TAKE YOUR FOCUS OFF YOURSELF AND PLACE IT ON OTHERS
BE OTHER FOCUSED

1. `Use the phone or  internet to offer an encouraging word to people who are scared, living alone or overwhelmed with worry.  I am getting some very thoughtful phone calls, texts and e-mail messages. On Monday I got a call from a priest of the Diocese of Nelson in British Columbia (western Canada). I led their priest convocation at least three years ago. He called to tell me how much I had "influenced" the priests who had attended. I was amazed! He said he had been "quarantined" after a recent trip to Mexico City for a Diocesan Vocation Directors' Convention and was calling "everybody on my list." 

2. Make financial contributions to charities that are offering direct help to those who are "going without" with no relief in sight. I got a call from a man who had read my blog about my decision to donate any government check I received to a family in need. He and his wife were inspired to help me help one of those families. 

3. If your pantry or closet is too full with things you probably won't need, or haven't used for quite a while, donate them to social service agencies. 

4. Pray, yes, pray for those who "have it," those taking care of those who "have it" and those who supply the needed materials to those who take care of those who "have it." Pray for all those who provide "essential services" without the luxury of being able to stop. From my condo, I can see them: nursing home workers walking home down the sidewalk, bus drivers in our public transportation system and the large group of hard-working Mexican men and women replacing the roofs on our condo complex - to name a few. 

5. Use your imagination! Mother Paul of the Little Sisters of the Poor here in Louisville just told me today on the phone what some families of the elderly are doing to overcome the ban on in-person visits. They drive up to the Home, park near their loved one's window, roll down the window of the car and call them on the phone to talk! 

6. During this pandemic, there are actually more things you can do to help others than you realize. All you have to do is take your focus off yourself, plug into your creative side and really focus on the needs of others! 






My niece, Janet, is a health care worker. 
Thanks, Janet and all your co-workers!
We appreciate you and love you!
Keep up the great job! 

No comments:

Post a Comment