Tuesday, March 24, 2020

"SHELTER IN PLACE" and "GOING STIR CRAZY"



“I have discovered that all the unhappiness of men arises from one single fact, that they cannot stay quietly in their own chamber.” 
Blaise Pascal


I am thinking about all the poor extroverts who are suffering from the "social distancing" required during  this caronavirus pandemic. 


I'm an introvert and yet I, too, am about to go "stir-crazy" here by myself in this condo! However, I am thankful to be an introvert because I would much rather go crazy alone than in a group! 

   

A "NUT CASE" AND HIS "NUT CAKE"

The last time I remember going "stir crazy" was. I think, the winter of 1977. I got snowed in for almost a month when I was pastor of Saint Peter's Church in Monticello, Kentucky. 

I was living in an apartment in the church basement that had no windows to look outside. The one small basement window had an air conditioner in it so it was like living in a tomb. You could hear nothing from outside. When you turned off the lights, you could see nothing on the inside.  It was like living in an underground concrete cemetery vault (like the poor man below).  I still get sentimental every year on Ground Hog Day! 
The roads were impassible. Services were cancelled in both counties. I had a TV, but it was during the days before cable TV. I think I was able to receive one station, maybe two, but very poorly with an outdoor antenna. 

At my most desperate stage, to pass the time, I taught myself to make German and Austrian pastries. Sometimes, I would spend the whole night baking and then sleep most of the next day. I remember making a very successful Austrian Nuss Torte. Instead of eating it by myself, to prove that I did make it, I took a picture of it and put it in the freezer so others could see it when the world thawed out again. I think I was trapped in that basement so long that my beautiful Austrian "nut cake" got "freezer burn" and had to be eventually thrown out. I still ask myself, after all these years, "Why, oh why, didn't you eat it?" Obviously, "cabin fever" drives people to make poor decisions!
a typical Austrian Nuss Torte

FOR SOME SERIOUS AND OTHER-DIRECTED IDEAS OF POSITIVE THINGS YOU CAN DO STRANDED AT HOME, READ THIS COMING SATURDAY'S  BLOG POST


IN THE MEANTIME, STAY HOME IF YOU CAN, REMAIN CALM, TRY TO FIND YOUR PEACEFUL CENTER, SAY YOUR PRAYERS AND WASH YOUR HANDS!









1 comment:

  1. Love Fr. Knott's thoughts, words, ideas. THANK YOU. Fr. Knott.

    ReplyDelete