Wednesday, May 18, 2022

THE SAD AND HAPPY PASSING OF A VERY GOOD MAN

Father Bill Fichteman

May 17, 2022


Father Bill Fichteman followed me as pastor of the Cathedral of the Assumption in 1997. I have always thought, and said out loud, that his following me was a great choice.  Our talents and gifts were different which made that choice work so well. The way I saw it, I was good at hacking through the jungle and setting up the new town, but he made the perfect mayor of that new town. I was a pioneer, but he was a pastor. He took up where I left off.  
Before I left, I gave a series of homilies trying to set the stage for my departure and his welcoming and how he would  be the perfect priest to build on what we had built during the "great revitalization" of 1983-1997. He made it easy for me to leave and I tried to make it easy for him to begin. In doing that, we always respected each other's talents and gifts. We got along well. I will miss him. 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment