Saturday, February 17, 2024

USEFUL WISDOM FOR 2024 #7


ARE YOU TOO SCARED TO REALLY LIVE? 

George Gray
by
Edgar Lee Masters
1868-1950 
  • Share on Facebook

I have studied many times
The marble which was chiseled for me--
A boat with a furled sail at rest in a harbor.
In truth it pictures not my destination
 but my life.
For love was offered me and I shrank from its disillusionment;
Sorrow knocked at my door, but I was afraid;
Ambition called to me, but I dreaded the chances.
Yet all the while I hungered for meaning in my life.
And now I know that we must lift the sail
 and catch the winds of destiny
Wherever they drive the boat.
To put meaning in one's life may end in madness,
But life without meaning is the torture
 of restlessness and vague desire--
It is a boat longing for the sea and yet afraid.

This poem is in the public domain.


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain

 

No comments:

Post a Comment