A UNIVERSAL REALITY
I have learned the hard way that one of the greatest sources of my disappointments and its resulting personal pain is my attachment to positive responses to the outcome of my good deeds. Whether Buddha or Shakespeare said it first, all my disappointments and heartaches can be traced back to a stubborn attachment to the results of my overly positive expectations.
I have learned that if I let go of my "expected positive responses" and accept my "no responses" and let go of "negative responses," I can eventually find my way to be at peace with reality. That, I have learned, takes time and practice! Such a "reconciliation with reality" is the only path that will lead to a heart filled with peace!
After much reflection, I have come to know that my options are these: (1) I could quit doing good deeds as a way to escape the hurt of being disappointed over and over. (2) I could try to ignore or overlook the negative or no responses I get. (3) I could try to focus only on the positive responses I do get. (5) I could just focus on my love of doing good deeds regardless of the responses I get.
I am not always successful, but I am focusing on trying to choose #5 because I know it is the only way to insure a peaceful center that no "lack of a positive response" can break!
ADDITIONAL INSIGHTS FROM THE INTERNET
What Are the Most Common Types of Life Disappointments We Face?
The most painful disappointments usually come from the people and situations we care about most – family, friends, love, and career. Let’s be honest about the disappointments that hit us hardest. They usually fall into a few categories that most of us will recognize from our own lives.
Family Disappointments
Family disappointment hurts differently because we expect our relatives to love and support us unconditionally. When parents don’t understand your dreams, siblings betray your trust, or extended family judges your choices, it cuts deep. These disappointments about defective parents and family betrayal speak to the unique pain of family letdowns.
Friendship Betrayals
Friends are supposed to be the family we choose, so when they disappoint us, it feels like a double betrayal. Maybe they gossip about your secrets, choose other people over you, or just disappear when you need them most. Friendship disappointments for betrayal capture the specific hurt of losing someone you trusted completely.
Romantic Letdowns
Love disappointments might be the most universal human experience. Someone you care about doesn’t feel the same way, breaks promises, or just isn’t who you thought they were. Disappointments in relationships help express feelings that are hard to put into words.
Career and Educational Setbacks
You work hard, follow the rules, and expect to succeed – but sometimes it doesn’t happen that way. Job rejections, failed exams, or career stagnation can leave you questioning your worth and abilities. These disappointments affect not just your present, but your entire vision of your future.
Self-Disappointment
Sometimes the person who disappoints you most is yourself. You know you could have done better, tried harder, or made different choices. Self disappointments capture this internal struggle when you don’t live up to your own standards.
Understanding these common disappointment patterns helps you realize you’re not alone in your struggles. Everyone faces these challenges, and everyone can survive them.
THE PATH TO SURVIVING THE DISAPPOINTMENTS OF UNMET EXPECTATIONS
No comments:
Post a Comment