Thursday, September 10, 2026

WEIRD FACTS - AN ON-AND-OFF HISTORY OF MY BEARD

I grew my first beard while backpacking in Europe in the summer of 1972 on my first of five trips to Taize, France. It has since changed - both in color and shape. I have shaved it off only a couple of times over the last 54 years - only to let it grow back pretty soon in one form or another.  

I am not asking for a vote, but I do remember one very memorable moment when an elderly woman neighbor banged on my car window as I was backing out of my condo garage and said this to me right after I had just shaved it off the first time! "I like your look better when your beard is shaved off! You don't look like a criminal!" My mind raced for a response, but I decided to take the high road and answered politely, "Well, thank you for the compliment, my dear! I am always open to honest feed-back because I am not a criminal and I certainly don't want to be mistaken for one!"

                                                Passport photo 1972 for my first trip to Taize
                               

I came home from Europe with this beard and kept it for my 1974 passport photo. 

My 1980 passport during a lull in traveling when I decided on longer hair and a longer beard.
Here, I look like the infamous Russian monk and self-proclaimed mystic, Grigori Rasputin, who was close to the Russian royal family and was killed for his shenanigans. 
 
Rasputin 1869-1916
Partial beard and shorter hair in June 2012, while a staff member at St. Meinrad Seminary. I began to apply a little dye in those days because it was beginning to turn a bit gray.   
My 2015 Passport after retirement. To celebrate my retirement, and because the beard dye was not convincing, I shaved it off before working in the Caribbean Missions
Post Caribbean Missions, I grew back a full beard that I let turn white around 2019.
Short hair and partial beard again around July 2024 after starting to work in the African Missions 
 
Clean shaven again for my renewed 2026 Passport - just in case I change my mind about traveling again!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment