Saturday, May 9, 2020

MOTHER'S DAY 2020

MINE DIED YOUNG, BUT MADE IT TO MY ORDINATION
GONE FOR FORTY-FOUR YEARS, BUT STILL LOVED BY HER WHOLE FAMILY

She would be 103 this coming September. We had a 
post-mortem birthday party in her honor on her 100th birthday. 


Here she is at my First Mass on May 17, 1970, six years before she died of breast cancer at age 58. 




"ETHEL"


In the Blessed Sacrament Chapel of the Cathedral of the Assumption in Louisville, there are two angels, one on each side of the tabernacle. 
They were originally on the old high altar. In the 1970s renovation, they were taken out. One was found in the basement and the other was outside  in the garden between the rectory and the church. There was some damage. 
My four sisters (Brenda, Lois, Nancy and Kaye), two brothers  (Gary and Mark) and I paid for having them repaired and re-installed in the present renovation in honor of our parents, Ethel and James.  
I affectionately call the angels,  "Ethel and Jim."  Above is a photo of "Ethel," a selfless "angel" during her life here on earth. 
                                                             

 ANOTHER MEMORIAL IN HER HONOR AT SAINT MEINRAD






As a simple country housewife, my mother would have been blown away to have known that there would be a public monument in her honor with her name on a bronze plaque. I only wish I could have afforded it when she was alive. 

SHOW YOUR MOTHER LOVE WHILE YOU STILL HAVE HER!
I DID MY BEST AND I AM PROUD THAT SHE KNEW IT! 

"Wind Beneath My Wings"
(from "Beaches" soundtrack)

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight on your face.
You were content to let me shine, that's your way.
You always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,
while you were the one with all the strength.
A beautiful face without a name for so long.
A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
but I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.
I would be nothing without you.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
You're everything I wish I could be.
I could fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

Did I ever tell you you're my hero?
You're everything, everything I wish I could be.
Oh, and I, I could fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

Oh, the wind beneath my wings.
You, you, you, you are the wind beneath my wings.
Fly, fly, fly away. You let me fly so high.
Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.
Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.

Fly, fly, fly high against the sky,
so high I almost touch the sky.
Thank you, thank you,
thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings.



No comments:

Post a Comment