Saturday, May 9, 2020

WANDERLUST----- THE URGE TO TRAVEL AND EXPLORE

THE LIMITS ON TRAVEL
ONE OF THE BIG PERSONAL DRAWBACKS OF THIS PANDEMIC

   

I so look forward to the days when it's safe to travel again. I have over 500,000 frequent flyer miles on American Airlines, not to mention quite a few on United Airlines and Delta Airlines - mostly the result of leading so many priest convocations and trips to the Caribbean missions. I have led over 150 priest convocations in 10 countries and made 12 trips to the Caribbean missions since 2001. 

I really don't need a "vacation." As far as travel, I mostly look forward to seeing the people I know down in Saint Vincent.  Missing my last trip down there was one of the biggest disappointments I have had in a long time.  Besides a few more trips to the Caribbean missions, I am thinking about maybe one more trip to Europe to visit my friends in Germany and Belgium before hanging up my passport. 

As my mind wondered whether travel (like I have known it in the past) is a thing of the past, I decided to list the places I have been. I thought it might make me feel fortunate even if I never get to go any place else. I simply cannot complain. 


United States (all 50 states, except Vermont)
Canada (7 of the 10 Provinces)
England
Wales
Ireland
Spain
France
Germany
Switzerland
Italy
Austria
Belgium
The Netherlands
Bahamas
Puerto Rico
Mexico
Saint Maarten 
Trinidad and Tobago
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Barbados
Saint Lucia
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Luxembourg
Liechtenstein 
Vatican City


INVITATIONS I HAD TO TURN DOWN

Tonga
Singapore
India
Nigeria



I realize that I have been lucky to have been to so many places over the years, but I hope this is not the end of the road. I hope I can do a little more than merely reminisce about past adventures! If not, I will certainly be grateful and try not to complain. We'll see how this shakes out, but in the meantime, it doesn't hurt to dream a little bit more, does it? 




No comments:

Post a Comment