Thursday, March 10, 2022

LENT - A SPECIAL TIME TO OFFER OTHERS ENCOURAGING WORDS


Many people think that Lent is primarily a time to "give up stuff!" I suppose God does care about us giving up our bad habits, but I find it hard to believe that God cares about our self-punishing practices of giving up candy, coffee, beer and such, unless the money saved is given to help the poor!

Let's think of Lent, not as a time for engaging in negative practices, but as a time for engaging in positive practices. I can think of nothing better to do during Lent than to look for goodness to affirm. I think we would feel the effects of Lent much more if we intensified our efforts to look for opportunities to praise, encourage and affirm those around us - family, friends and strangers alike! If we did just that for forty days, I think Lent would be much more spiritually effective, for both the giver and the receiver, than giving up a truck load of chocolate! 




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment