Saturday, December 31, 2022

MY ANNUAL PERSONAL NEW YEAR'S EVE RETREAT

 

"Our culture made a virtue of living only as extroverts. We discouraged the
inner journey, the quest for a center. So we lost our center and have to find it again."
Anais Nin

Maybe it's because I have lived alone most of the last 52 years, maybe it's because I am definitely an introvert, but as long as I can remember I have looked forward to spending New Year's Eve alone in the solitude of my own home wherever it has been! I deliberately do not accept invitations to New Year's Eve parties.

I realize that many people like to "ring in the New Year" in a huge crowd making lots of noise! Personally, I continue to prefer "the road less traveled." I like to spend those few seconds between years "on my knees" and "in solitude."

In fact, I spend quite a bit of time preparing for that moment of transition into a new year. I usually spend the week after Christmas going through my "nest" and getting rid of junk and unused items that have accumulated over the past year. This includes, not just ridding myself of external "junk," but also identifying and ridding myself of any internal "junk" that may have accumulated. By New Years Eve, I try to have a "clean slate," externally and internally, physically and spiritually, in which to begin a new year.

In my newly cleaned house, I like to prepare some special food and drink, some relaxing music and maybe a scented candle or even a little incense to enhance the "specialness" of the evening. Since I have kept journals over the years, I like to read back over the past year and try to take an inventory of where I have made progress and where I have fallen back and try to make plans for "a correction of my direction." I like to "turn the page" by reviewing last year's journal and then starting the new year with a new journal.

I realize this approach is not possible or even desirable for everyone. However, as an alternative to "loneliness," this may work for a few more people than you imagine. As the old song goes, "If you can't be with the one your love, love the one you're with!" In this case - be "with yourself" in a new way!

For those who think this is a "pathetic" way to spend New Year's Eve, go ahead and gather in a herd, drink till you drop and yell your head off if that makes you feel better! Whatever floats your boat and gives you life! Go for it! All I am saying here, to all those who will feel they are missing someone or some special social event, is that there are alternatives to "feeling bad" on New Year's Eve!


 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment