Thursday, August 29, 2024

WHERE I LEARNED TO HEAR CONFESSIONS

I was a substitute bar tender once! It was the summer of 1968 when I was working at the Lodge in Crater Lake National Park in Oregon. I was one of the few student workers who was over 21 years old. I knew so little about the job that I had to look at the little book under the bar to see how to mix the drinks. 

When I think back, I realize that it was really "remote preparation" for hearing confessions. I heard more "confessions" from behind that bar in one night than I have ever heard in one session in a confessional! 

I was also a substitute wine steward in the dining room. I learned the hard way that you should put a towel over the cork when opening a bottle of champaign! At a wedding anniversary dinner, I forgot that step and the cork came out of the bottle and hit the bride in the side of the head! Thank God she was not hurt and forgave me immediately. Today, I might have been involved in a serious lawsuit!  

Besides a substitute bar tender and wine steward, I was a full-time desk clerk at night and a weekend seminary student preacher for the United Church of Christ leading two services on Sundays in the campgrounds.  I was the first Catholic seminarian to sign up for that program - A Christian Ministry in the National Parks. My good friend, Pat Murphy from Indianapolis, was the second Catholic seminarian to sign up. He was sent to Yellowstone National Park.  

I REALLY DON'T DRINK VERY OFTEN, BUT WHEN I DO..........

                                       

 


No comments:

Post a Comment