Tuesday, December 12, 2017

UNION ISLAND - ONE MORE OF THE 32 ISLANDS OF SVG

MY FIRST VISIT

I am on my way to St. Vincent island again, but on this trip I decided to stop on Union island, another of the outer islands, to see more of  this 32 island nation. I visited Bequia Island, Father Alando's island, on a previous trip.  This time I will visit one of Fathers Rex's and Edmundo's three islands. 

 
Union Island with airport runway on the right. I will be landing and taking off from there in a small SVG AIR plane. 



View from seat #3!

CLICK THE LINK BELOW AND ASK YOURSELF, 
"WOULD I DO IT?" 

WATCH VIDEO



The airport runway in the distance. 

  
St. Joseph Church where Filipino Father Rex Ramos is pastor. 





I probably will not be going to Father Rex's other two islands in his newly painted boat and new outboard motor on this trip - because of time and because I don't see any life-preservers on that boat!  

  

St. Joseph House, operated by the Diocese of Kingstown, SVG, as income to operate the diocese, is where I will be staying while on Union island. You can rent it yourself for a vacation if you like. 
www.saintjosephshouse.com/en-gb/




I stayed on the top floor.  It looks good in this photo, but it is is desperate need of repair: roof, plumbing and general repair. 




Looking down toward the sea from my room, you can see the shed on the back of the church where Father Rex lives. He created a small living space out of a storage building. 


View from the porch of St. Joseph House. 



My host, Father Rex Ramos, took me around the island in his "car." 



We stopped to have a drink at this sea-side French-owned bar
on Sparrow Beach. 



We made a visit to the island Hospital.



Neonatal unit. 



The emergency room. 



If you don't make it at the hospital, there is always the Morgue!




We stopped in to visit the Social Service Center for the island of Union, 


Dinner out with Heather and Ian Grant (and Father Rex) who manage St. Joseph House as well as mnay other properties. They are originally from Canada.  


Father Rex drives a goilf cart. Heather and Ian drive a Polaris. 
No need for a car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment